Wednesday, February 17, 2010

You Don't Know What You're Missing

This is going to sound like a no-brainer, but when you make a networking connection it is important to provide that person with a way to get in touch with you. Job seekers who are out mingling with the business crowd have the ear of a number of people in a position to learn of opportunities soon to hit the market. It's fantastic to give those you meet an idea of what leads would benefit you. What's tragic is when you do that and leave them wanting to help you, but fail to provide a means for them to find you in the future. I'm in that boat right now. I met a wonderful woman a few days ago with a solid background in her field. Today I learned of a position through my Twitter feed I'd love to tell her about. I can't though. As luck would have it, I only know her first name. She has my card and left me with a promise to email me her contact information. I'm sure I'm on her list and will here from her in the near future. Unfortunately, the near future may be too late for her to capitalize on the lead that crossed my desk today.

Don't miss out on opportunities because people have no means of finding you. Create a business card you use for your job search efforts. Update your profile on LinkedIn. Send an email to those you meet reminding them of your contact information. Job seekers who aren't conducting confidential searches should be the most findable people on the planet.

If you are reading this post and wondering if the lead I have might be for you, dig out my card and drop me a line. I'd love to pass this job information on.

No comments:

Post a Comment