Thursday, September 17, 2009

Take Me, For Example

It's been over a week since my last blog. Naughty, naughty, naughty on my part. In the blog world that kind of absence can dramatically affect your following. I could have mind blowing blogs, but by neglecting to stay in front of my readers with fresh content, I am at risk of losing their interest and following. It wouldn't take long to become a blogger they enjoyed at one time, but no longer think much about. It's not that I did anything to turn them off, I just didn't do anything to keep them turned on.

The same thing happens with job seekers. They make a great impression with a decision maker or networking contact and then fail to keep themselves in front of that person. Months go by with no contact. In short order it has been a year. There is some thought that if the impression you made was good enough that person will come looking for you and do their part to keep things warm. Not so. We all are busy and prone to going with the options readily available versus putting the effort into remembering those who wowed us and tracking them down.

Make time in the coming days to reconnect with those who you hit it off with in the past. Don't allow more time to pass. Once you've done so, put a plan in place to make sure you do not repeat neglecting them. Don't let those valuable relationships fade. You need those people to get you where you hope to go.

2 comments:

  1. Great networking reminder, Lisa. I tell my clients to think of themselves as a spider weaving a beautiful and extensive web. There are no loose, broken strands; only solid connections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Of course, I have plenty of reasonable excuses for why I haven't been around. Valid excuses don't change the end result though. That's why people need to avoid let their own get in the way.

    ReplyDelete